Presenting the interim railway budget 2009-10 in the Lok Sabha today, union minister of railways Lalu Prasad announced the introduction of 43 new trains, the extension of 14 trains and increase in the frequency of 14 others.
He said 43 new train services, to be introduced in 2009-10, will include four Garib Raths.
With a view to facilitate improved train operations, it has also been decided to set up two new railway divisions at Bhagalpur and Thawe, the minister said.
The Railways propose to conduct surveys for 14 new lines, 3 for gauge conversion and 28 for doubling projects, the minister said, adding, pre-feasibility study for running high speed bullet trains being pursued.
Construction of Rail Wheel Factory, Chapra on in full swing; Work on diesel and electric locomotive factories at Marhoura and Madhepura targeted for early start, he said.
Bharat Wagon Limited, Mokama and Muzaffarpur has been transferred to the ministry of railways while the transfer of wagon units of Burn Standard at Burnpur and Howrah is also under consideration on the same lines.
The 43 new trains planned to be introduced in 2009-10 are:
- Bilaspur-Tirunelveli via Thiruvananthapuram Express (Weekly)
- Ranchi-Jaynagar Express (Tri-Weekly)
- Secunderabad-Manuguru Superfast (Daily)
- Mumbai-Karwar Superfast (Tri-weekly)
- Bhopal-Lucknow Junction Garib Rath Express (Weekly)
- Durg-Jaipur Express (Weekly)
- Chhatrapati Sahu terminal (Kolhapur)-Dhanbad Link Service via Parasnath (Weekly)
- Sengottai-Erode Passenger (Daily)
- Dibrugarh Town-Chandigarh Express (Weekly)
- Ajmer-Bhagalpur via Delhi Garib Rath Express (Bi-Weekly)
- Nizamuddin-Bangalore via Kacheguda Rajdhani Express (Tri-weekly)
- Barauni-Delhi Jan Sadharan Superfast (Bi-weekly)
- Mumbai-Varanasi Superfast (Daily)
- Mysore-Yesvantpur Express (Daily)
- Jamalpur-Gaya Passenger
- Korapur-Rourkela Express via Rayagada (Daily)
- Agra-Ajmer Superfast (Daily)
- Sitamarhi-Patna Link Service (Daily)
- Tiruchchirapalli-Madurai Express (Daily)
- Mumbai-Bikaner Superfast (Bi-weekly)
- Jaynagar-Ajmer Link Service (Bi-weekly)
- Agra-Lucknow Junction Shatabdi Express (Daily)
- Gandhidham-Kolkata Superfast (Weekly)
- New Delhi-Guwahati Rajdhani Express via Bhagalpur (Weekly)
- Mumbai-Tirunelveli Superfast via Thiruvananthapuram (Bi-weekly)
- Jammu Tawi-Darbhanga Garib Rath Express (Weekly)
- Saharsa-Delhi Express via Patna (Weekly)
- Gwalior-Bhopal Intercity Express via Guna (5 days a week)
- Coimbatore-Tuticorin Link Service (Daily)
- Howrah-Haridwar Superfast (5 days a week)
- Machhalipatnam-Mumbai Superfast (Bi-weekly)
- Varanasi-Jammu Tawi Superfast (Daily)
- Gorakhpur-Mumbai Superfast (Daily)
- Jhajha-Patna MEMU
- New Delhi-Palwal MEMU
- New Delhi-Guwahati Rajdhani Express via Muzaffarpur (Weekly)
- Veraval-Mumbai Link Service (Daily)
- Ranchi-Patna Jan Shatabdi (Daily)
- Jhansi-Chhindwara Superfast (Bi-weekly)
- Mumbai-Jodhpur Express (Weekly)
- Hajipur-Bagaha Link Service
- Howrah-Delhi Link Service via Azimganj-Bhagalpur (Weekly)
- Sitamarhi-Delhi Garib Rath Express via Patna (Weekly)
Railways also propose to increase the frequency of the following train services:
- 2423/2424 New Delhi – Guwahati/Dibrugarh Rajdhani Express from 5 days to 6 days.
- 2443/2444 Bhubaneshwar – New Delhi Rajdhani Express from 2 days to 4 days
- 2395/2396 Ajmer – Rajendra Nagar Ziyarat Express from weekly to bi-weekly
- 2211/2212 Nizamuddin – Bapudham Motihari – Garib Rath from weekly to Bi-weekly
- 2183/2184 Bhopal – Lucknow Junction Express from bi-weekly to tri-weekly
- 7091/7092 Secunderabad – Patna Express from bi-weekly to daily
- 2739/2740 Secunderabad – Vishakhapatnam Garib Rath Express from 4 days to daily
- 2111/2112 Amravati – Mumbai Amravati Express from tri-weekly to daily
- 2149/2150 Pune – Patna Express from 4 days a week to daily
- 2957/2958 Ahmedabad – New Delhi Rajdhani Express from 6 days to daily
- 2947/2948 Ahmedabad – Patna Azimabad Express from bi-weekly to tri-weekly
- 2887/2888 Puri – Howrah Express from weekly to bi-weekly
- 2487/2488 Jogbani – Delhi Seemanchal Express from 5 days to 6 days a week
- 2823/2824 Nizamuddin – Durg Chattisgarh Sampark Kranti from 2 days to 3 days a week
Presenting the interim railway budget 2009-10, union minister of railways Lalu Prasad also announced the extension of 14 trains. These are:
- 5761/5762 Ranchi – Alipurduar Express to Guwahati
- 9269/9270 Porbandar – Bapudham Motihari Express to Muzaffarpur
- 1471/1472 Jabalpur – Bhopal Express to Laxmibai Nagar, Indore
- 6865/6866 Ernakulam – Tiruchchirapalli Express to Nagore
- 3155/3156 Kolkata – Darbhanga Mithilanchal Express to Sitamarhi
- 2175/2176 Howrah – Gwalior Chambal Express to Mathura
- 2177/2178 Howrah – Agra Cantt Chambal Express to Mathura
- 6507/6508 Jodhpur – Bangalore Express to Coimbatore
- 2187/2188 Jabalpur – Mumbai Garib Rath Express to Allahabad
- 2927/2928 Mumbai – Vadodara Express to Chhotaudepur
- 541/542 Patna – Darbhanga Kamlaganga Fast Passenger to Biraul
- 3113/3114 Kolkata – Murshidabad Hazar Duari Express to Lalgola
- 2909/2910 Mumbai – Jaipur Garib Rath Express to Delhi
- 2143/2144 Nagpur – Gaya Dikshabhoomi Parasnath Express to Dhanbad via Parasnath.
During the year 2009-10, the Railways will construct nine rail over bridges (ROBs) and rail under bridges (RUBs) on a fifty-fifty cost sharing basis, Lalu Prasad said.
The minister said Palej, Panoli, Kosamba and Kim in the districts of Surat and Bharuch in Gujarat, Roshanara Garden and Sultanpuri in Delhi, Shastrinagar and Model Town of Ludhiana in Punjab and Vasarpadi in Tamil Nadu will be considered on a priority basis for construction of ROBs and RUBs.