PolyMirae (PMC), a joint venture between Daelim and LyondellBasell Industries, has successfully started operation of LyondellBasell's `metocene polypropylene' technology.
The company has installed the metallocene catalyst-based PP technology to one of its Spheripol lines in Yeochun, Korea, a LyondellBasell release said.
The metocene PP technology enables production of a wide range of homopolymers and random copolymers with higher purity, improved physical properties like outstanding transparency and, better organoleptic properties. Moreover, high fluidity peroxide-free reactor grades are obtainable beyond the usual melt flow restrictions of conventional PP, the release said.
"As a key PP producer in the Asian market, PolyMirae is eager to maintain a leading technology position in the region by continuously making outstanding products that serve our customers' needs," said K S Park, director of application and product development of PolyMirae. "Moreover, PolyMirae is very pleased that it will be the first company in Asia introducing a comprehensive metallocene polypropylene technology offering a broad product portfolio to the market," he added.
"With these product advantages, Polymirae is confident that it will provide additional benefits to its customers like more stable spinning operation, enhanced fluidity characteristics and improved aesthetic and cycle time," Park pointed out.
In addition to the Metocene PP process, LyondellBasell's portfolio of licensed polyolefin technologies and associated technical services includes:
- Spherilene - advanced swing-gas-phase process for the production of monomodal and bimodal HDPE, MDPE and LLDPE;
- Lupotech - high pressure tubular and autoclave processes for the production of LDPE and EVA copolymers;
- Hostalen - low-pressure slurry process for the production of high-performance multimodal HDPE;
- Spheripol - leading polypropylene technology for the production of homopolymer, random and heterophasic copolymers; and
- Spherizone - latest-generation polypropylene technology, based on a multi-zone reactor for the production of polypropylene and novel polyolefins.
PolyMirae, a joint venture between LyondellBasell and Daelim, a leading Asian manufacturer and marketer of polypropylene. It has four production lines using Spheripol technology located in Yeosu, Korea with an annual capacity of about 700,000 tonnes. PolyMirae has a broad customer base across multiple market segments in Asia, from packaging, consumer goods to textiles, electrical appliances and automotives.
LyondellBasell Industries is one of the world's largest polymers, petrochemicals and fuels companies and the global leader in polyolefins technology, production and marketing; a pioneer in propylene oxide and derivatives; and a significant producer of fuels and refined products, including biofuels.