Kerry rules out further extension of nuclear talks with Iran

09 Feb 2015

1

US Secretary of State John F Kerry said in an interview from Munich broadcast on Sunday that it would be ''impossible'' to extend nuclear negotiations with Iran if an agreement on fundamental principles is not reached in the coming weeks.

Using more categorical language than he has employed previously, Kerry definitively precluded a third extension to talks with Iran about reducing its ability to make a nuclear bomb or a consequent easing of sanctions.

In November, when no deal could be struck by a self-imposed deadline, a temporary agreement, which had been in place for a year and had been extended once before, was pushed to late June. Kerry said at the time that the major points of agreement would have to be reached by late March.

In an interview with NBC's `Meet the Press,' taped on Saturday in Munich where he was attending an international security conference, Kerry appeared to close the door on another extension.

''Well, the only chance I can see of an extension at this point in time would be that you really have the outlines of the agreement,'' he said. ''You understand exactly what you're doing.''

One reason for an extension, Kerry added, would be to flesh out complex details spelt out in numerous footnotes known as 'annexes'.

''But if we're not able to make the fundamental decisions that have to be made over the course of the next weeks, literally, I think it would be impossible to extend,'' he said. ''I don't think we would want to extend at that point. Either you make the decisions to prove your program is a peaceful one, or if you're unable to do that, it may tell a story that none of us want to hear.''

The nuclear talks, which began a decade ago with Iran and were revived after Hassan Rouhani, a moderate, was elected president in 2013, have been the subject of much concern. Israeli President Benjamin Netanyahu, who has reached out to the foreign ministers of the five other countries that are negotiating partners of the United States to lobby against a deal, is expected to be highly critical of any potential agreement in an address to Congress planned for 3 March.

Latest articles

Sweden fines SBB over accounting violations, raising scrutiny on property sector

Sweden fines SBB over accounting violations, raising scrutiny on property sector

Ukraine-Russia peace talks enter second day in Geneva amid pressure concerns

Ukraine-Russia peace talks enter second day in Geneva amid pressure concerns

India asks university to exit AI summit after robot’s origin questioned

India asks university to exit AI summit after robot’s origin questioned

Redmond’s global reach: Microsoft on pace for $50 billion AI investment in the Global South

Redmond’s global reach: Microsoft on pace for $50 billion AI investment in the Global South

Data centres explore funding uranium projects as AI power demand surges, says NexGen CEO

Data centres explore funding uranium projects as AI power demand surges, says NexGen CEO

Nvidia signs multiyear AI chip supply agreement with Meta amid sustained infrastructure demand

Nvidia signs multiyear AI chip supply agreement with Meta amid sustained infrastructure demand

Spain approves $8 billion aid package for storm-hit regions as floods damage homes and crops

Spain approves $8 billion aid package for storm-hit regions as floods damage homes and crops

Warner Bros rejects revised Paramount bid, sets deadline for improved offer amid Netflix deal

Warner Bros rejects revised Paramount bid, sets deadline for improved offer amid Netflix deal

EU opens probe into Shein over illegal products and app design

EU opens probe into Shein over illegal products and app design