Libyan evacuees bring back tales of horror, hardship

05 Mar 2011

1

Even as the government assured Parliament on Friday that no effort would be spared to bring home all Indians stranded in strife-torn Libya, those who have managed to return have their own story to tell – one of hardship and horror.

Sharing the concerns of members, including those of the Congress, over the condition of Indians stranded, minister for overseas Indian affairs and civil aviation Vayalar Ravi said the government would also arrange free air journey for them to their hometowns from airports. If the distance was less than 500 km, they would be sent by rail or road.

More than 1,000 Indians escaped the chaos of Libya to land in Mumbai on Friday. Though they took special Egypt Air charter flights, reaching the Egyptian capital Cairo from Libya was a risky ordeal that included travel by sea. With scenes of street violence and burning government buildings, and sounds of gunshot vivid in their minds, they said hordes of Indians are still struggling to leave the country, which is in political turmoil.

According to a Times of India report, among the ones to return was Sebastian Pinto (54), a factory manager. He said the recent turn of events persuaded him to take the first flight to Mumbai. "The spirit of revolution had been palpable in the air since protests erupted in Tunisia and Egypt. Suddenly, the whole of Libya was seized with protests. People, especially foreigners, were scared to move out of their houses."

As the situation worsened, Pinto, like many other Indians, sought help to return home. "I had to try for three days before I could procure a ticket. The Indian embassy helped me. I set sail for Alexandria along with 1,188 Indians," he said.

The 36-hour journey was exhausting. A couple travelling with three children said the detour to Egypt was extremely tiring. "But we had no option. We had to grab the opportunity. Most of all, we were worried about our children," the wife said. "Though we did not witness any scenes of violence, we knew that protests were spreading fast."

Latest articles

Redmond’s global reach: Microsoft on pace for $50 billion AI investment in the Global South

Redmond’s global reach: Microsoft on pace for $50 billion AI investment in the Global South

Data centres explore funding uranium projects as AI power demand surges, says NexGen CEO

Data centres explore funding uranium projects as AI power demand surges, says NexGen CEO

Nvidia signs multiyear AI chip supply agreement with Meta amid sustained infrastructure demand

Nvidia signs multiyear AI chip supply agreement with Meta amid sustained infrastructure demand

Spain approves $8 billion aid package for storm-hit regions as floods damage homes and crops

Spain approves $8 billion aid package for storm-hit regions as floods damage homes and crops

Warner Bros rejects revised Paramount bid, sets deadline for improved offer amid Netflix deal

Warner Bros rejects revised Paramount bid, sets deadline for improved offer amid Netflix deal

EU opens probe into Shein over illegal products and app design

EU opens probe into Shein over illegal products and app design

India’s Great Nicobar project clears key hurdle, positioning Bay of Bengal as strategic trade hub

India’s Great Nicobar project clears key hurdle, positioning Bay of Bengal as strategic trade hub

Wall Street and government leaders to headline Mar-a-Lago crypto forum

Wall Street and government leaders to headline Mar-a-Lago crypto forum

Global investors remain ‘uber-bullish’ but warn of corporate overspending

Global investors remain ‘uber-bullish’ but warn of corporate overspending